Entry Level: Creating Sentences - Suggested Ages: 9 - 11
Creating Sentences is a sentence composition curriculum designed for ages 9 – 11. Older students who are lacking in their sentence writing skills could also benefit from this level. Many students find learning sentence composition skills and grammar becomes enjoyable when using fun topics and activities. Common writing errors are covered in this English composition curriculum to prepare students for formal paragraph writing.
- Common writing errors: homonym confusion, apostrophes in possessives and contractions, proper and common noun confusion, run-on sentences, incomplete sentences, awkward sentences...
- Develops the construction of a basic sentence into more interesting informative sentences.
- Improves sentence structure with basic grammar and figures of speech.
- Creative poetry writing is used to reinforce writing skills.
- Games are used to reinforce writing skills in every lesson.
- Guidelines and checklists provided.
Lesson plans are formatted in an easy-to-follow system with 30 lessons designed for either a one- or two-year format.
Sample Lesson Plans
For a detailed scope and sequence: Syllabus
Creating Sentences is designed for the student who struggles to write a sentence that makes sense and actually tells you something. Students learn how to incorporate grammar into their writing to develop descriptive sentences. Figures of speech and grammar are used creatively in poetry and sentence writing.
For ordering information for the Creating Sentences curriculum package, click on Curriculum Ordering Information (Curriculum with worksheets included).
To order worksheets without curriculum, click Order Worksheets.
One of my favorite things about this curriculum is that my kids didn’t have to come up with their own ideas for what to write about. That can be an enormous hindrance in the writing process when a child is trying to remember all they need to know in order to write, which leaves little to no room to consider what topic they might wish to write about.Dianne, Bunny Trails